I have been wanting to do a blog like this for a long time. One where I try to put into words why I feel newborn photography is so important. Words that express my point of view and even words from clients.
I get it, photography in general is a luxury and not a necessity. Here you are, buying all the things that baby will need and it all adds up. Clothing, crib, car seats, strollers....it is all crazy overwhelming. Between doctors appointments, managing your day to day life and most likely still working, thinking about those first few weeks of squishy newborn life is not on many people's radar. I have had so many friends tell me they never even considered newborn photography because they just where not organized. Heck, add in toddlers and other kids in general, you may not even have time to shower at this point.
Newborn photography is ideally done under two weeks of age (unless medical reasons call for a later session). YES....this is often mom/dad's first time out with baby other than maybe a doctors appointment. For first time parents, this is scary. I GET IT! Packing up a tiny human to drive to the studio is a lot for some people. But, these tiny humans only stay tiny for a blink of the eye. Those wrinkles, hairy shoulders, mouth bubbles, curled up toes and back fat rolls change. Their ability to sleep hard and squish up into amazing little balls only lasts about 2-3 weeks. Then they are more alert, looking around, sleeping less and stretching out. They are no longer happiest in that womb like position. You know the one, where they curl up on your chest and you can hold them with one hand.
I asked former clients to tell my why newborn photography was so important to them. Here are some of the answers I got:
- Because you captured their beauty and innocence at a time when I could barely manage a shower let alone gorgeous pictures. You captured that moment when they where so tiny and time flies so I am grateful.
- It is a very unique/vulnerable stage, baby will never look the same. Way to welcome baby.
- They are only that age/size for such a short amount of time! I want to remember it for ever.
- The first days are a blur. Our third finally got some attention after getting ignored all pregnancy.
- That first few months happened in a fog. I can see all those little details I would have forgotten.
- Because I don't want to forget any of her sweet little details.
- Because KJ was the baby I never thought I would have.
- I knew I needed a professional to capture all her tiny details and perfect little features.
- Because looking back at those photos helps me remember how small he was.
- If you book with Sunny you get a nap while she photographs your baby (Love this one lol).
- I love the poses and colours and themes. They'll never pose for you like that again. So cute.
- It is important to capture their beginning to appreciate all that comes later.
If you are hesitant, just email or call me. My goal is to make the whole experience as easy as possible. From booking, to a "what to expect" checklist, to you picking colors/props. Each session is tailor made for every baby and I try to make it was calm, relaxing and stress free for parents as i can.
Trust me, you will never regret having photos of your baby :)